Sticky Learning And The Art Of Building An Effective PLN

Stephen Downes posted a couple of years ago about one of my blog posts that:

...we should not be reading people, we should be reading topics.

I didn't really understand what he meant until I read this recent post from Claudia Ceraso. The whole post is an excellent explanation of where PLN building can take an educator who is prepared to persist but not strain too hard for results.

Learning awaits the node that builds network. The network does not revolve around a guru or star blogger. Although you might be inclined -at first sight- to affirm it is so. Seeing a long thread of comments in a high ranking edublog can give that impression.

Whatever makes a post or blog a gem is that blogger's ability to express what other people wish they could, but they can't. Yet. Or perhaps something you were sensing was important, but didn't have a name for it; therefore, no conversation dealing with the core issue had been built around it. A blogger may offer a playground of a post to imagine how we can think new ways of learning. I think many newbies have believed this is about the blogging revolution. This is the kind of success we should be after. Owning the learning in your blog. Without comments on the post, it is still unidirectional. Close to what fascinates me about blogging, but not it.

Oddly enough, for those taking the conversation ahead, it is not countless visitors or comments what they are after. They are indeed making connections and exchanging Twitter trivia preferably with a closed or selected circle of people, but it is not because they are popular that they flock together. It's because Therefore, rapport. Once those minds get in touch, they accept the kind of learning that occurs cannot happen in isolation. That is what makes the network continue paying attention to new ideas from those selected bloggers. Because it is the only sustainable way to learn informally. You know they are your best learning triggers. That's when learning sticks.

3 thoughts on “Sticky Learning And The Art Of Building An Effective PLN

1. Claudia Ceraso

It is interesting that a couple of years ago I was already reading your blog. I should have read more carefully! Or perhaps the right moment when that learning can stick for me is today. Lots to reflect upon in the comments of your earlier post.

My post lacks the links to all the people who have helped me to shape what I think. But the reflection sprang after a time browsing new pages, not my RSS. I thought that I could later do a search in my RSS to find people in my PLN who had talked about this for a future post. Now here you are already helping me with that job.

The use of the word “art” in your title caught my attention. While I was finishing writing the post I felt it was a bit poetic, a rambling of how I feel about my blogging experience in need of more distance and argumentative objectivity. I guess sometimes you have to write those posts and press publish in order to make room in your mind for reflection after the hype. More importantly, to let others say something; give you fresh air to sharpen your thinking.

Thank you.

Reply
  2. Graham Wegner

Actually, I don’t think I’ve said anything new here. Your post is what helped provide a connection for me so it is I that should be saying thanks to you for your well written insights that sum things up so well.

Reply
  3. blunnj

Blogging is intersting because of the sharing people can do Problem is is that someone could post inappropriate things and destroy the integrity of the blog.

Reply