Something To Share

I stumbled across this during a search for resources on the history of media, and just really like the way the story is told in both message and medium. Being at a school now where the percentage of English as Second Language (ESL) students is around 75%, this particular tale is a good example of how technology can help to bridge generations, languages and cultures.

4 thoughts on “Something To Share

1. Autif Kamal

Haha… that was a cute video. I can sympathize with the video. I mainly sympathize because I also moved to the U.S. from another country. My transition was probably not as difficult as her’s. I just moved from Canada and I spoke fluent English.

The problem for me was simply abandoning both the place and friends that I was used to. It was mostly just about losing my friends though. I remember crying everyday for a week when I came back from school.

Like her, I thought that I would go straight back to my hometown. Eventually, I also decided against that.

Reply
  2. Graham Wegner

I’m sure that many people can relate to this video on a number of levels – even moving between two English speaking countries like yourself can involve a cultural mindshift. I’ve experienced it in moving from the country to the city. At my school, I see that technology is the binding agent between kids from a wide range of cultures, especially in their Facebook friend lists. I’m glad that you liked it.

Reply
  3. Lawrence Galiano

What a great story done in an interesting medium and form. I was surprised that the TV was not more useful in helping her learn English. My mother-in-law who came from Croatia 50 years ago said that American television was immensely helpful to her in learning English. It does prove the point you were making that as the world advances so does the methods we use to learn.

Reply