Local Paper Profiles Web 2.0

This post has been in the holding bay for over a week so I thought I'd better finish it up and get it posted.

There's been a bit of talk over at TALO regarding a Web 2.0 overview in the Newspapers In Education section of Adelaide's only daily newspaper, the Advertiser. As I barely buy the paper (read news online mainly and catch the occasional bulletin on TV) I would have missed it but a friendly e-mail from Vonnie of South Oz E-Learning alerted me and I nabbed the liftout whilst over at the in-laws on Friday night. There's no online link and the Advertiser website only has centrespreads of their education pages as recent as 2004. I think the list of 27 applications is interesting in what it omits as well as what was chosen to be included and there seemed to be quite a few apps that were variations on a theme. So what made the list?
Mashups
Web 2.0 Mash up Centre
Flickrmap
Photo Sharing
Flickr
Bubbleshare
Zoto
Notes, Sharing and Word Processing
Jot Live
Web Brush
Zoho Writer
Writely
Social Bookmarking & Notes
Blinklist
diigo
Clipmarks.com
del.icio.us
Calendar/Time Managment
Voo2do
Kiko
Backpack
CalendarHub
Personalised News
Digg
Findory
Search
Pandora
Online Mail
YouSendit
Aggregation
Suprglu
Protopage
Online Collaboration
Yack Pack
Rallypoint
Basecamp
Wikibooks was also mentioned but the supporting paragraph was an error and repeated the text from under the YouSendit title. Interestingly, the link led to a page that read:

This wiki does not exist yet. Perhaps you are looking for one of our other projects:

There was a heap there that I've never tried but the ones I do use ( del.icio.us, Flickr, Writely, Protopage) all do a good job of serving a particular purpose. I was surprised that a limited list of 27 had so many like apps, and it could have easily widened so that each one featured was for a different purpose - a few others that could have featured might have been irows, DabbleDB, stripgenerator, thumbstacks or the new one Leigh's been talking about, Gliffy.

Anyway, education gets a lot of press about being slow to embrace and take on board technological change but the print media has also been lacking in awareness in the new developing face of the web. So as a conservative newspaper, having the Advertiser recognise Web 2.0 as something worthy of profiling might mean another shift forward in credibility. I know that a couple of my colleagues have said that they wouldn't have recognised any of the apps if not for my webvangelising.

One thought on “Local Paper Profiles Web 2.0

1. Tegan

Hi,
    I read your comments on web 2.0. I found it really interesrting. I was wondering if you have visited Pageflakes (http://www.pageflakes.com) already? We are offering a similar service allowing you to read news feeds and setting up multiple pages that can be customized with local weather, address book, todo lists, event finders, TV guides and page sharing. I was wondering if you would give us a some feedback let us know what you liked or didn’t like. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tegan