Couldn’t Have Said It Better Myself

Sometimes, the phrase "Couldn't have said it better myself" is appropriate when reading the posts and comments across my Learning Network. Here are a few that have caused my meager brain to click up a gear.....
Bill Kerr is in fine form again, really looking at the "education big picture" here in Australia in a deep, probing way that provides a shallower thinker like myself with plenty to ponder about. He words things beautifully, especially when assessing the chances of web based technology making successful inroads into schools. His take on the current state of play from a recent post:

The Department thinks: "We control". Teachers think: "We shut the classroom door and do our thing" The reality often is that each is thwarting the vision and hopes of the other.

This is the reason why so many teachers went into meltdown/overload over the new Common Reports that aligned reporting on students to their year level and the curriculum expectations prescribed in our frameworks. Like many curriculum frameworks that have come and gone, a lot of teachers figured that if they just battened down the hatches and continued to teach the way they always had, it would all go away. However, if everyone has to stick strictly to a prescribed curriculum, where is the chance for innovation and moving forward. Bill's thoughts really delve into the systemic way of dealing with change and how many of the issues of how education can keep pace (or attempt to, instead of pretending it's not happening) with this brave new world of instant information access.

Over at Artichoke, a spirited discussion emerged in the comments of her recent post "'Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.'" My light bulb moment came after botts had theorised that part of the problem with ICT absorption in schools was the education system's oversupply of "digital immigrant" aged practitioners and that the next wave of techsavvy teachers coming out of uni would be up to the challenge. Artichoke replied in the next comment that...

......I realised that teaching is not a career option for that attracts Prensky’s Digital Immigrants as much as it attracts the Digital Luddites.

Teaching is not what you would recognise as a career pregnant with ICT opportunity.

I hadn't considered that possibility before but.... it's true! Someone with ICT talent in their late teens/early twenties will be snapped up by other professions where their abilities will provide them with opportunities and acknowledgement, not the roadblocks and skepticism of an education system struggling to stay relevant to its students.

Like I said, so often, I find edubloggers summing up a particular viewpoint in a neat quotable paragraph that I "couldn't put it better myself."

One thought on “Couldn’t Have Said It Better Myself

1. Rob Lucas

Hi Graham,

Sorry for posting off-topic for this thread. I noticed a comment of yours on the think:lab blog:

“Unit plans that are shared and remixed with Creative Commons style licenses are more in tune with this century’s learning needs.”

I left the following response about a project of mine, and since I’m looking shamelessly for every opportunity to spread the word, I thought I’d leave it here, too:

“I’m starting a nonprofit to do exactly this. We’ll be at TeachForward.org starting this fall. The site will be built on an open-source CMS developed by Creative Commons called CC-host, and all the content will be free and Creative Commons licensed. There’ll also be features like rating, social tagging, and some social networking. Email me at teachforward AT gmail DOT com with the word ‘announcement’ in the subject if you’d like to be notified when we launch the beta. Also let me know if anyone’s interested in contributing programming help or curriculum pre-launch.”

One thing I neglected to mention is that cc-host has a neat versioning system that lets you track the ancestry of a remixed file.