5 thoughts on “Makes Sense To Me

1. Chris Harbeck

As I clicked on your link this part of the wiki came to roost in my brain

“they remain convinced internally that they do not deserve the success they have achieved and are really frauds”

Look at your family and friends and students. When they leave your room at the end of their 200 days with you and still have a love of learning, you have done your job.

You are my first read in my bloglines account. Sometimes I don’t get it but most of the time I enjoy the read, I can hear your deep bass voice reading it in my head.

“Proofs of success are dismissed as luck, timing, or otherwise having deceived others into thinking they were more intelligent and competent than they believe themselves to be.”

I enjoy your thoughts and stories. Keep on blogging and influencing others. You don’t have to be an expert you just have to be you. That is the great thing about having a blog. You are putting a little bit of your self into your blog and we are able to share your thoughts.

Thanks again for helping me be a better educator. I have never met you in person but if I was to ever get to Australia, you would be the first person I would want to meet…. OK maybe Nicole Kidman or the Wiggles.

No I wouldn’t want to meet the Wiggles. Yeah you would still be number 1

Reply
  2. Rachel Boyd

I guess the only thing we can really do is be true to ourselves and make sure what we portray of ourselves online is the most “intelligent version” of us available at the time!

As mentioned in the article sometimes we do have the fear that someone will poke holes in our thinking and expose us as a “fraud” or an “imposter”. For me, part of being online through my blog etc is not to say that I’m an expert or to hold myself up there. For me, it’s all about exposing my (at times) flawed thinking and portraying the huge learning journey that I’m on in this area.

As said above by Chris, it’s not about being an expert, or claiming to be one. People can still learn lots with us just being us. For some people what they read in our blogs will be reconfirming for them what they already know, for others it will be new knowledge/information. Both are valuable.

Thank you for your imput into my blog. I enjoy your comments 🙂

Reply
  3. Chris Harbeck

A funny thing happened on the way to the comment box. I consider people in my “network” to be my colleagues as much if not more than the people I teach beside. As colleagues we need to push the envelope and share with each other our experiences.

This is how we become better teachers and better people.

Thanks again Graham

Chris

Reply
  4. Mr. James

There are days that I think, “I do not have an original idea.” Almost everything that I say and do is a hybrid of creativity and something that I have read or seen someone else do. To a degree, I think we can contribute our success to a collection of others’ great ideas. I am who I am today because of what I have learned from other. Classroom 2.0 has changed the way I view teaching. I learn something new everyday, and my colleagues think I am getting smarter.

Reply
  5. Graham Wegner

Thank you all for your insight to what was a bit of an impulse post on my part. The Imposter Syndrome certainly doesn’t have anything to do with being unoriginal – everything we do in our lives has a basis in someone else’s invention, right from the language we speak to the work we do. The creativity comes from leveraging this in new twists to achieve new outcomes. I also suppose that Imposter Syndrome is very irrational because it depends on the premise that you are clever enough to fool others into believing that you are more intelligent/motivated/organised than you actually are – which is an insult to others’ intelligence if they can be fooled so easily! No, Imposter Syndrome is just that little voice in the back of your brain that tells you that what you’re doing will never be good enough. Tim Gallwey (author of The Inner Game Of Golf) calls the doubting inner voice Self 2 and the other capable part of the brain that gets stuff done easily in a flow state Self 1). It’s that nagging voice that puts doubt in the way of success. I’m sure it’s that same voice that stops teachers from blogging, scared of the unknown, scared that they will attract criticism or even that no-one will notice their work.

Reply