Twitter and Blogger’s Block

From Twitter:

Graham Wegner grahamwegner Is it me or do blog posts seem to be taking more effort - or are there more distractions like twitter and skype? 09:26 PM October 04, 2007 from web

Chris Lehmann chrislehmann @grahamwegner I think the new network makes short blogging less relevant, which means blogging has to be more substantive, which is harder. 08:07 AM October 04, 2007 from twitterrific in reply to grahamwegner Icon_star_empty 

Graham Wegner grahamwegner @chrislehmann. You're dead right - who wants to read about the latest tool 20 times - personal insight is rarer and harder to capture.

Chris Lehmann chrislehmann @grahamwegner I'm slowly getting o.k. with blogging less and longer. I still feel like I should write more. 08:16 AM October 04, 2007 from twitterrific in reply to grahamwegner Icon_star_empty

Exactly.

8 thoughts on “Twitter and Blogger’s Block

1. Alec Couros

I agree. Some short/small thoughts never make it to my blog anymore. However, I’m finding Twitter has really provided the glue to new relationships that were loosely formed in the edublogosphere. Be able to see how many bloggers think between blog posts is one of my favorite elements of Flickrs, in a sense, you can sense what’s coming next from each blogger by what they are hinting at in Twitter.

Reply
  2. Jane

One thing about twitter though, as you have demonstrated above, is that the short sharp interactions with people can spark some very thoughtful issues. It occurred to me as I read this post (I had been thinking the very same thing by the way) our blog readership is larger than our twitterverse and sometimes the short revelations or revealing of cool new toys are still important, both for our journaling and for others who haven’t been drawn into the addictive merits of the twitterverse yet. mmm I can feel a blog post coming on.

Reply
  3. Graham Wegner

Blittering does sound better than the alternative, twogging. Thanks for the comment, Peter!
    Jane, looking forward to the blog post.
    Alec, I think you’re right in terms of the “think out loud” tweets that many participants post. Quick feedback while a blog can favour deeper, more reflective responses.
    Chris, you were there then as much as Chris and I were there conversing between Adelaide and Philadelphia (funny how as an Aussie I always think of cheese when I read that word.)

Reply
  4. Sue Waters

Mmmmm well I don’t agree that you need to be writing longer, more thought provoking posts — sorry but if the posts are too long we know what happens to them (oops that’s why people don’t read mine LOL).

I suppose at the end of the day you need to stop and reflect on why you are blogging. If your main interest was in personal learning than twitter would be probably be meeting your needs. However if you are wanting to sharing your learning with others and reflect more deeply than you should be blogging. Our audiences vary with different tools – just because you are into twitter does not mean the people you are trying to inform are… so they are missing out on that learning. I also rely a lot on noise — so while many will say writing on the same topic is not always good — well with all the Web 2.0 tools being created I tend to pay more attention when I hear the same topic being discussed by many people.

So get back to writing –and any chance of you doing a quick 1 minute audio on how twittering has impacted on your personal learning and what you do with students? Okay to say no – but need it in next couple of days.

Sue

Reply
  5. Pingback:

Borderland » Blog Archive » Iterations Toward Irrelevance