Dean Groom – Learning Virtually Anywhere Keynote Notes

(Starts with foreboding music)

"Spoon feed me"  - that's the expectations of the teachers who are on holidays.

The Assessment villians - no one knows how to assess technology, exams and numbers don't tell a kid what they have learnt , grades are good for politicians, kids are good at playing school.

Got to ask the right questions to get the right answers (shows scene from Bueller's Day off) and we haven't moved on in the context of school.

What we need is pedagogical leadership - teaching is about feedback and making connections with students, learn from the wisdom of the crowds.

Need to exploring virtual communities, not just read blogs, your peers may not be in your school, share your stories online.

3 R's - realism, relevance & resonance.

Knowledge on the web is "healed"  - information is always "in flux ".

Conferences and f2f  is about affirmation and connections to people.

School + Home + Mobile + Internet + People = Learning Environment.

We can't measure a person's success by their exam results.

What can I do with (Insert technology here) in my classroom? Teach a teacher one or two new tools and you will expand their repertoire by up to 50%.

Game based learning  - Wii,  DS, PS3 etc.  Consoles that connect to the internet go beyond games. In gaming , reputation is authority. To succeed in World of Warcraft, you have to be able to access and contribute information.

21st Century learning outcomes  - Planet /People /Participation - Syllabus learning outcomes.

Don't use anything you can't assess.

2 thoughts on “Dean Groom – Learning Virtually Anywhere Keynote Notes

1. Bill Kerr

> 3 R’s – realism, relevance & resonance

Thanks for the summary Graham. I think in advocating web2.0 as “the answer” for boring school if successful would create a new set of problems. This is the problem I had with three of the keynotes (David Loader being the exception due to his awareness of history, philosophy, the need to listen carefully to opponents etc.). No doubt school is boring and in need for transformation but we need a clearer vision of the future – how to integrate the new elements with worthwhile traditional elements. In particular I stress the importance of awareness and understanding of the non universals . I would argue that replacing the old 3Rs with Dean’s 3Rs is not enough.

Reply